Wednesday, June 26, 2013

My Trip To Yosemite

      For the first week of summer, my family and I decided to go to Yosemite National Park. We left on June 15th. It was a very long two day drive. We drove for a long time until we stopped at a hotel in Fresno. The next day we continued to drive until we reached Yosemite. The place we were living in was a place called "Curry Village". It was like a village with tent houses. The interior of the houses were a wooden frame. The exterior was water proof fabric. On outside, there is a bear box to keep our where bears can't get to it. 

  
        
This is a tent in Curry Village.

       The first thing we did was unpack all our stuff. We then took a rest because we were very weary from all that driving and sitting. Next we went to the Visitor Center. In the Visitor Center, it had a 3-D map of Yosemite Valley. It also had a 2-D map of the whole Park hanging on the wall. I want to the section where it explains about Yosemite's history. It was very interesting to learn all that stuff. On fact is that John Muir founded Yosemite. 


        The next thing we did was to climb to the top of the side of Yosemite Falls. We first climbed the right side of Yosemite Falls, which was shorter than the left side. Then we decided to climb the left side next and we did! All in all, it was very fun.

This is Yosemite Falls. If you look closely, you can see people climbing the slope.


    
       After that, we went to Mirror Lake. Mirror Lake was shallow and the water was clear. You can even see the refection of Half Dome! That is why they call it Mirror Lake. Mirror Lake's water is just melted snow from winter. People could wade in the lake too.
This is a section of Mirror Lake.


   The next day we went to Glacier Point. It is a steep 4.6 hike to the top. We spent seven hours hiking up the steep mountain but we made it. The view was absolutely amazing. We then hiked down after we rested. The hike down was much faster and we got back at nine o' clock.

You can see Half Dome from Glacier Point.

   
   On Wednesday, we hiked to Vernal Falls. It was a 3 hour round trip, but it was easy. The water there was very fast and could sweep you away. The top of Vernal Falls was very high up. About fifty yards away, there was a lake that supplied Vernal falls with water. Some people where even swimming in it!

Sometimes, you can see a rainbow while hiking to the top of Vernal  Falls.

  
     After all, my trip to Yosemite was very exciting and fun.  



Have you ever been to Yosemite?


If so, which places did you visit?


11 comments:

  1. @ Aaron,

    Wow! What a fabulous post about your trip to Yosemite National Park! Your writing is so descriptive and the photographs really complement your text! Way to go, Aaron!

    I have camped in Yosemite. My husband and I brought a tent and camping gear and set up in a few different locations. Two nights were spent in Curry Village, but we pitched our own tent.

    Like you, we did a lot of hiking. We were going to try and do the 17 mile hike to Half Dome and back, but found out quickly that you really need to start early and have should do some training before you attempt it. That's what I thought.

    Did you see any wildlife while you were there? A deer walked through our campground one evening, and at night there were some bears snooping around for food. Of course, there were lots and lots of squirrels!

    Your proud former teacher,
    Mrs. Y♥llis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ms. Yollis,

      Thank you for the compliments. Yes, I did see lots of wildlife! When we were driving to Yosemite, we saw a deer running across the road. We also saw tons of squirrels. One even climbed on to someones shoulder to get some food! That was a very common thing for squirrels to do because they became to dependent on humans.

      From,
      Aaron

      Delete
  2. Aaron, this blog post about Yosemite is wonderful! My family has been wanting to visit there and your writing and photographs have sparked an even greater interest in planning a trip sometime in the next year or two! I had to zoom in on the falls to see the people climbing the slope and it really made me appreciate the height of that waterfall! I also love the template and format of your blog. I would like to show it my students as an excellent example of someone sharing his learning and experiences in a personal and appealing style.

    As you can tell, I am a teacher, and because your former teacher, Mrs. Yollis has influenced me as well, I must include a question in my comment! So, have you visited and spent time in any other national parks? Last summer, we drove along the wilderness of the Gila National Park along the Arizona/New Mexico border and it made me so grateful that our country has preserved vast expanses of land, keeping them untouched and natural.

    Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family and I visited Yosemite for a day on our month long vacation trip to California 9 years ago. It was fascinating. I think my favorite part of the park was in the visitor center where it showed videos of bears ripping doors off cars!

    Mr. C
    NoelTigers.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a teacher and saw your teacher's post on Twitter about your blog. I have been camping in Yosemite. When I was 10, my family and I took a 4 day trip through the mountains there. We would ride a mule all day from one campsite to the next. We also camped by a waterfall the first night. It is such an amazingly beautiful place. Thank you for sharing your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kia ora Aaron
    Greetings from Auckland, New Zealand. I too found your blog from your teacher's tweet. Congratulations for starting your own blog. I've never been to Yosemite but if I ever visit America it looks like a beautiful place to visit. New Zealand has lots of fantastic scenery and through your descriptions of what you did, saw and stayed are clearly in my mind. I think I would have enjoyed climbing by yhe waterfall.


    At my school we are about to start having each teacher share the class learning in a blog. I will show them your blog as a great example of how students can share. All the best Aaron and I look forward to reading more posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaron,
    Reading your description of your adventures brought back wonderful memories of Yosemite. It sounds like an incredible experience. Will you be traveling to other national parks? Have you been to others? It sounds like your family likes to hike.
    Thank you for writing about Yosemite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aaron,
    I'm an outdoorsy kind of girl, but that black bear box would've stopped me in my tracks. Did you wear bear bells or keep talking loudly to alert them that you were there? I've visited Bozeman, Montana, where they sell bear spray and bells, and who knows what else. I heard that all you have to do is make sure you don't surprise them... then they'll stay out of your way.
    Sounds like a fabulous trip - so glad you didn't run into any bears! Thanks for sharing!
    Sincerely, Joy Kirr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joy Kirr,

      No we did not use bear bells but we did stomp our feet to warn them away. We also talked loudly to let them know we were there. The bear spray is kind of funny. :D It is as if the bears were bugs.

      From,
      Aaron

      Delete
  8. I haven't been to Yosemite, but now I want to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes,you should must go there .I am pretty sure you will enjoy there.

    ReplyDelete